Sunday, June 19, 2016

What is your Name?

On this Father's Day, I went to church, by myself.  I do this often, and don't mind doing it at all.  The family was out of town.  As you may know, over the last several weeks, I have been more introspective.  Not that it is a bad thing, I'm just not out looking for other company as much.

So here is your warning.  This post is pretty deep.

Today, our preacher (I go to a United Methodist Church.) gave a wonderful sermon and he even inserted part of Lin-Manuel Miranda's Tony speech into the prayer.  The sermon covered the scripture Luke 8: 26-39.  This Chapter is about Jesus going across the Lake to where the Gentiles were.  They were not the chosen people.  They were different, odd, queer.  The Pastor emphasized that Jesus was crossing the "boundaries".  Going places that the Hebrews would think are unclean. Talking to people that were not like Him.  When he stepped on the shore, He was met by a Gentile.  "For a long time this man had not worn clothes or lived in a house, but had lived in the tombs."  He was possessed, or "Occupied".  Stick with me.....

After some time, Jesus asked, "What is your name?"   He is showing that he cares about the person.  Respecting the person.

They (the demons) answered, “Legion,” he replied, because many demons had gone into him.  And they begged Jesus repeatedly not to order them to go into the Abyss.

Then they were forced to go into the pigs, which ran into the water and died.

The man then, clothed, sat at Jesus feet and listened, and learned.

So...............   Here is what I got from this story, and maybe it is what the pastor was trying to get across, but if not, we all hear what we need to sometimes.

First, Jesus was the first "Boundary" breaker.  He was a rule breaker.  He came from his Father (God) and was told to love and believe, and you will be forgiven.  It doesn't matter who you are.  Gay, Straight, Bi, Transgender, or a Gay man married to a woman, and live what to some might be a deplorable life.  Jesus was a lover.  He loved us for who we are.  He Broke those "Boundaries", he broke those rules of the Old Testament.

Second, "What is my Name?"  Who are you? He wants to know you.  Who you are. He cares.

Lastly, for me personal I need to get those demons out.  So what are your demons.  Many may think, they know where I'm headed.  To getting out the gay demons.   But that is not where I'm headed.  Get the demons out that tear me down.  My demons are my thoughts.  The thoughts that I am not adequate, that I can't live this way.

I find that sometimes those are my demons.  And they need to leave me, and get jump into the swine, run to the water and drown.


   Here is what I got from it.   "I will live as a gay man, married to a woman.  I will love my family, my wife, and not let others dictate how to live and what makes me happy."

That includes those have been in similar shoes as I.  Those that have decided that they will "come-out" to the world, and get a divorce.  It includes those who think I should "get over" being gay and make different choices.  It includes those who think I should stay sexually active only in my marriage.

I am breaking the boundaries, just like Jesus.

And so is this man.  Listen to his speech/Prose.


My wife's the reason anything gets done.
She nudges me towards promise by degrees.
She's the perfect symphony of one.
Our son is her most beautiful reprise.
We chase the melodies that seem to find us until they're finish songs and start to play.
When senseless acts of tragedy remind us that nothing here is promised. Not one day.
This show is proof that history remembers
we live through times when hate and fear seem stronger.

We rise and fall and light from dying embers.
Remembrances that hope and love last longer.
And love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside.
I say that as symphony. Eliza tells her story. Now fill the world with music, love, and pride.
Thank you so much for this.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your post though a bit heavy. We all have to make our own way. I think you're doing the right thing. On a side note, I thought you only had one child, a daughter...I guess I was mistaken.

    ReplyDelete